Animals and Jobs

My family has always had a lot of pets, we seem to keep getting more as time goes by. We have 9 pets at my house now. All very special to us in their own way. For awhile after we moved in I was convinced that they had all forgotten me. Well maybe the goldfish didn't even know me to begin with but the other ones certainly did. I was so worried that they would not love me anymore when I went home. Luckily I went home and now realize that all of the pets will be happy and excited to see me each time I go home.


I have been missing being around animals ever since I moved in to the dorms. At my house we always have a ton of cats around, here there are none. Going to my sister's place to play with her cats is not nearly the same (especially as they would rather follow her around then play with me).

I decided that a remedy to that would be getting a job at a pet store, in particular Petco. I have been needing to get a job anyway and thought this would be the perfect way to solve my problems. I was so proud of myself for actually applying for a job, and not just talking about it, that I even went and told my mom about how I was applying at Petco.

My mom looked at me and reminded me that I was allergic to all the animals there and that because of that I should not get a there. I was a little crushed, I had managed to shove all thoughts of my annoying allergies away. I was planning on getting a job where I got to see fuzzy little animals every time I worked.

So now, against the wisdom of my mom (who is always right at moments like this), I am hoping to get a job at Petco. Who knows, maybe my allergies will just disappear one day. Stranger things have happened.

2 comments:

charlotte snowe said...

I know how you feel. I've always been surrounded by animals my whole life, whether it be at the local Childrens' Animal Museum I worked at for years or just being around my own crowd of animals.
I was really upset to find out that you couldn't really bring any pets to UVM, except fish (which I don't think are very exciting). I was really hoping to get a pet hedgehog, but couldn't because of college. I do miss my 3 cats and it's very weird not having cat fur shed all over EVERYTHING I own (but sort of a nice change I guess too.)
I hope you get your job at Petco, that sounds like the cure all for you.

Tess said...

I miss my pets too. All through high school I took care of horses that my family boarded at a barn by our house. Now I realize how much I liked the routine, as well as all of the horses. I feel so weird not taking care of them anymore.
Good luck on getting your job!