Images

So, we started work on our digital stories in class yesterday, and it got me to thinking. It got me thinking that images, actual pictures, are really powerful things. I brought with me to class a series of seemingly unconnected images, pictures of random things that I enjoy or that are just part of my life, and with a little thought I managed to put them together into a type of story, or maybe more accurately, a personal philosophy. Each image could carry so much meaning and be interpreted in more than one way. It seemed that almost every picture had a literal meaning (this is a picture of my car), and a figurative meaning (the car represents the freedom of being able to go wherever you want). Having these multiple meanings for each image, and various levels of comprehension and depth, I think, is what makes it possible to create a legitimate piece of literature based from a collection of nearly random images. 


There is something distinctly poetic about starting off with a pile of images and weaving a story around them. When looking at poetry the reader often starts off by noticing the images in the poem. If it is a particularly difficult piece of reading they do exactly what we did in class, by trying to figure out what the images mean when they are seen all together. The images are the main messages in a poem and it is the job of the poet to display them in a logical way to reach their audience and depart to them their message. In this way I feel as though we are creating our own type of poetry using images, sounds, voice, and the computer screen to display it all. It's pretty deep.

Good day.

0 comments: