French ?!

I just got done with my first french test.. well it was supposedly a "quiz" but it took the full class and was pretty long. (this is  french 1) Some of it was translation, and some of it was answering questions. One part was confusing.. because we didn't really know the verbs in the sentence to understand what it was telling us to do in the instructions. i started off answering the questions, and then somebody asked if we were supposed to answer the questions, or translate. She said to just translate it. So i was like, oh thats easier, let me just cross this all out. Then there was some more confusion in the class and you heard some mumbling and shuffling of papers ... and another question was asked, when I heard her say, oh no no! don't translate it, answer it! AFTER i was done crossing out my answers, and translating instead, I had to cross that part out too and rewrite my answers I had written to begin with. She would not even give me a new paper to start fresh. Then on the next section, it was more clear that we were just supposed to translate because the question was english, and we had to write how to say it in french ... a few of them were never even covered in the class and she said to only study what we have covered so far.. hmm.. i see myself not doing too well in this class.


I don't know what came over me when I decided to drop the lifetime of spanish classes I was taking, just to learn french. because i wasn't sure of a major, i just applied to the college of arts and sciences. i should have went to the business school or education... those degrees would get me a job right after graduation... but i really had no clue what i wanted. so thrown into arts and sciences,  i have to take two semesters of a language as a requirement . the spanish placement test put me in an advanced level of spanish even though i haven't taken a spanish class in 2 years, and i did not want to be sitting in a class conducted entirely in spanish (did i mention french 1 is conducted in french?). I don't really want to become fluent in french, i'll just be taking my requirement and then dropping it. I could have continued spanish, I could have become fluent in that. But i didn't. I mean, none of my schools before ever offered french so I was always sort of just thrown into spanish.. I went to spain and was even able to speak spanish there.. so i figured, i want to go to france so why not try to learn french? I've taken spanish, i've taken italian.. I want to learn french! plus, why not be learn how to read the signs in montreal if you are going to be going there? 

um, because you are used to spanish pronunciations and a perfect way to start off a new language is NOT sitting in french 1 reciting the alphabet and accidentally pronouncing half the spanish alphabet  while getting dirty looks from your teacher, thats why... ugh, french ...

Honestly, I knew the first week of class that i wanted to drop french. But i had just spent 202 dollars on a brand new textbook, non returnable if opened. Of course, she assigned homework the first night in that 202 dollar textbook, so me being a good student and doing my homework = me being stuck in french = me being a bad student for doing poorly in class (like i will in french).

1 comments:

A Underwood said...

I had taken 3 years of Spanish in high school. Then 2 years of Latin. Like you I haven't taken Spanish for 2 years and I tested into Spanish 002. A large portion of the class is conducted in Spanish.

At first I was worried because I didn't understand 35% or so of what was being said. But I stuck it out and all my Spanish is slowly coming back to me and it isn't as horrible anymore.

What I'm trying to say is if you were that good at Spanish I'm sure you will be fine in French if you keep plugging away at it. Spanish and French are both romance languages so the transition should easier then say going from Spanish to Chinese. But best of luck, I hope things get better