Jewelry Making!

I just woke up from my second nap today. I'm really tired because last night, around 11 pm, all my suitemates got back from spending the weekend out with their parents or at home. I live in the Jewelry making program in living and learning, however we haven't really made much jewelry so far. in fact, i hadn't made any because i didn't bring up my beads. But last night, all six of us from my suite really bonded in our common room for the first time over jewelry, which is kind of what we were supposed to be doing all along.  Then one of the girls took out her Shrinky Dinks kit, have any of you heard of it? I hadn't, but apparently it is supposed to be a staple of childhood arts and crafts. You draw on this sheet of plasticy-paper that they give you in the kit, and then bake it, and then it curls up so you think that you suck at life and messed up a project meant for 8 year olds, but then it settles back the other way and it is fully done shrinking. We had a lot of fun with that... too much, we were making those until about 3 am. Then we basically made them into charms for simple cord necklaces or bracelets or earrings. One girl attempted to bend it into a ring, that took courage because it is pretty hard, and to be a failure at shrinky dinks is pretty embarassing. I pretty much stuck to necklaces. I made a few pretty cool ones last night that I was excited to wear today, but when i woke up it was already 8:45  (I pressed snooze around 10 times more than usual...) and I had to jet over to my 9 am class, so its not as if i had much time to accessorize.  Whats cool about it is, people don't know it was shrinky dinks, and they look at it and think about all the intricate detailing and colors on such a small thing, they don't know that when we drew on to it, it was 5 times bigger haha. Overall it was a great way to spend a  Sunday night (more fun than writing an English paper...) with friends. I just wish we had started earlier, because we were having way too much fun to quit even as we saw the hours pass and knew we would have to wake up soon. 

1 comments:

charlotte snowe said...

Oh man! I wish that I had applied for the jewelry making living suite. I have yet to really sit down and make some jewelry. I mean I have sat down and made some hemp necklaces and a few pairs of earrings while watching some tv. I really want to get into a studio where I can solder things and use my glass rods. Do you know of anywhere I could do this?
Also, have you been down to global pathways or zinnia's on church street. The first is a tad expensive but has some really awesome beads from around the world, and the second is a one-of-a kind jewelry store. I go there alot to buy things from their clearance bin that I can cut up and make in to new stuff.
Also, in brattleboro there is the best bead store called Beadniks. They have so much! I go in there for a few hours everytime I go.