m4apes

musicians for apes... They have a pretty good cause.

Today, they performed in Brennan's. I probably would not have been there if it weren't extra credit for anthropology, but when i got there it was pretty empty and I felt bad. The guy who founded the company is against chimpanzees and pretty much animals in general being used in the entertainment business, promising no harm on the set but then later on they are hurt and tested on. He and his partner play guitar and they played some songs for us, some were pretty creepy but there was an awesome one I liked. It was acoustic guitars but they were plugged into amps. There is one song where he drums on the guitar and the other guy was just plucking the same string.. i don't know how they did it but it sounded like they were in a jungle. It was perfect, sounded like a chimpanzees natural habitat. they were good at playing the music but I think they could improve their lyrics before they actually promote more. this was their first time coming to a university, a student here had contacted them to come. he is working on the site and I think everyone else should check it out! 
I felt bad because they had a donation jar and nobody really put money in! Not that I'm one to donate to charity a lot but this actually seemed interesting. He mentioned one poor chimp that he used to visit in a sanctuary in Africa, they would pump aspartame into his cheeks for testing. Thats the stuff they use in diet soda! Supposedly they do a lot of worse things to the chimps they use for the circus and other entertainment. Next think i have a soda I know I'm going to have chimpanzees on my mind and I am going to feel REALLY bad. I hope more people get into causes like these, I thought this show was going to be a waste of my time but it really wasn't bad at all. They were thankful for the small crowd that actually did come out, imagine if more other  people actually cared too.

1 comments:

M. Haji Bigman said...

That's a pretty good cause. I didn't go to it but I saw the posters this week. I think people generally struggle with the idea of donating money when they don't actually get the chance to see the money help the ones in need. That's my opinion at least.