Quidditch





This weekend when I went home my family and I had plans together. We were going to go watch the quidditch match. It was the second annual intercollegiate quidditch tournament. About fourteen colleges had teams that were playing. The teams came from Canada,  Louisiana, Boston, Washington (the state), and many other places. They all had their own unique outfits, and of course they all had brightly colored capes. At the tournament there were people dressed up as Hagrid, a hippogryph, and dementors.

  
There were owls and alpacas to visit with, food from local restaurants to buy, and of course quidditch to watch. The tournament went from ten in the morning until six that evening.

Muggle quidditch, a full contact sport, requires that more than one girl be playing on the field at all times. The players have brooms (Harry Potter brooms), and all wear safety goggles. There were different colored headbands, so that the different players could be identified. Yellow headbands denoted the seekers, green headbands showed who the keepers were, and everyone else had either white or black to separate the two teams.
  
My personal favorite part was the snitch. Track stars dressed in all yellow running around trying to avoid getting caught. The snitch would tease and taunt the seekers only to run away quickly. The snitch could often be seen jumping over people playing the game, sliding under benches, stealing the seekers capes, and hiding in the crowds. A few times a snitch would be more creative, one climbed on top of a bus, another rode a bicycle across the field, and once the snitch was put into a cardboard box and re-released onto the playing field.

The half time show was made up of singers, dancers, jugglers and potions. People walked around on stilts, juggled with flames or knives, or they rode around on a unicycle.

I must admit, I feared boredom when I went. Than while I was there I laughed, I shouted and I even took part in a wave. I am going to go next year also.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going with you. :) You don't know that yet, but I am. :)

The Catfish said...

I had heard of this before but never actually saw it. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to watch.

charlotte snowe said...

I had no idea that there was actually competitive organized quidditch games!
I told one of my roomates about it and the first thought that came to mind was, how do they fly? I just stared at her, of course and laughed. I wonder if she's really has read harry potter like shes said.