what it is like to be home for the first time in 3 months

my flight home was this afternoon so i have been home for a few hours already. and i still feel just as weird as i did when i first got home. i have not been home since august 28, the day before we all moved in to college. what i came home to is nothing like i remembered it though. for one thing, i forgot how to turn the key in my own door... then i come inside and see that the kitchen floor is finally done and we now have a new fridge which opens... backwords? i was pulling at it for a while before i realized there wasn't actually a handle there and it was on the other side.. who makes refridgerators like that... not only was the kitchen a weird experience but the bathroom was too. the toilet is much lower now. i swear it must have shrunk down to the ground or something. because home is the one place where it is not disgusting to actually sit on the toilet seat. but then i just kept getting lower. seriously, what? and the sink is really low too. like, i had to crouch down to wash my hands. i guess the sinks at school are higher or something....

so THEN i picked up my bags that i had dumped in the front hall the second i came in to bring into my room and my room is, unfortunately, exactly the way i remember leaving it. A MESS. exactly what it looked like when i tore it apart packing in august, and didn't have time (or just didnt want to) clean it up the day before leaving, because we had to drive up early. oh man, the one thing that didnt change is the one thing i wish did. i have been looking forward to sleeping in my own bed for the past 3 months, but my bed is covered with the clothes i pulled out my closet and wanted to pack but had no more rooom for. as is the floor. and the desk. and the top of my dresser. i wonder why i have so many clothes at home, because i have way too many at school i thought i wouldnt have that much at home. but apparently i do.

then mommy dearest came home from work and i told her that she should have cleaned my room. (Seriously, she always used to try and clean my room and i would yell at her not to but now when i actually would have liked her to she didn't even do it)

and now i smell dinner. AHHHHH, DINNER ! as in, not gross nasty ugh ew not my mothers cooking, college dining hall food. must go eat.
i hope this weirdness i feel at home doesnt last long, because i would like to get used to it before i have to head back up to school and get used to school again only to come back home 2 weeks later. that wouldnt be fun. and i hope everyone else is enjoying being at home or wherever you are, because it is not school. hope u all have a happy thanksgiving too.

1 comments:

charlotte snowe said...

One of my friends had the same weird feeling too when she went home. She lives out in Minnesota, and hadnt been home since the few days before moving into the dorms for the first time either.
Originally she was going to spend thanksgiving in CT with me and my family, but her dad surprised her and booked her a flight home.

It was like hallmark movie, except no one was acting and it was more lively.